Everything you need to know

Application Requirements


  • A completed application, provided by the police
  • Color photograph 35×45 mm
  • Valid passport (If passport is not in English language, then you must have a copy notarized and translated into Croatian)
  • Proof of secured housing
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself
  • Proof of admittance to a higher education institution in Croatia
  • Completed application (form provided by the police)

What is the education system in Croatia like?

Following are the Croatia higher education qualifications:
  • Undergraduate studies: This studies lasts for 3-4 years and lead to the title of Bachelor.
  • Graduate studies: Comprises of master and doctorate degree programs.
  • Master’s degree requires 1-2 years of full-time studies. The title of Master (mag.) is awarded after the completion of course.
  • Doctoral degree requires 3 years of full-time studies and ends with a defense of a doctoral thesis. The academic title of Doctor of Arts (dr. art.) or Doctor of Science (dr. sc.) is conferred after the completion of the course.

Can students stay in the country after graduation?


Yes. There are a few options for international students to stay in the country after graduation: 

For EU citizens:

  • students coming from EEA nationals are entitled to permanent stay after five years of uninterrupted legal stay in the Republic of Croatia. You can find more information here.
Stay and work of highly-qualified third-country nationals:

  • A stay and work permit (EU blue card) for highly-qualified third-country nationals is at the same time a permit to temporarily stay and work in the Republic of Croatia. A stay and work permit may be granted to third-country nationals who meet the requirements referred to in Article 54 of the Aliens Act and who enclose the following documents:
  • a contract of employment or any other appropriate contract for a highly-qualified job, for a period of at least a year (the enclosed contract of employment or other appropriate contract has to indicate a gross annual salary which should amount to at least one and a half average gross annual salary according to the official data published by the competent Statistics Office),
  • proof of a university degree, bachelor’s and master’s degree, or integrated bachelor’s/master’s degree or specialized master’s degree. 

You can find more information here.

Residence and work for other third-country nationals: 

  • An application for a residence and work permit may be submitted by:
    third-country national (see the part relating to where to apply for the approval of temporary stay); or  employer, with the local police department or station according to the place of intended residence or work of the third-country national or the seat of the employer; or temporary employment agency.
  • A residence and work permit is a combined approval of temporary stay and work in the Republic of Croatia.
  • The decision on issuing a residence and work permit is made by the police department or station regardless of the place where the application was submitted.

You can find more information here

Are there a lot of job opportunities in Croatia?
Students have plenty of opportunities to find part time jobs to support themselves during their studies. You can look in the sectors that are booming, such as exports, tourism and real estate. Other jobs that have a shortage of professionals are architects, civil engineers, doctors, foreign language teachers, IT engineers, math teachers, mechanical engineers, and physics teachers. It is normally easier to find work in the largest cities such as Zagreb or Dubrovnik.

Also, Croatia could be one of the few countries in the world that will regulate the status of digital nomads and issue them a digital nomad visa. The plan is to complete the legislative part to introduce a digital nomad visa by the end of the year, and visas should be available in the first quarter of 2021. In addition to the legal regulation of the status of digital nomads, the draft of the Law on Foreigners brings some other changes. In the draft of the Law on Foreigners, a digital nomad is defined as a third-country national who is employed or performs business through communication technology for a company or own company that is not registered in the Republic of Croatia and does not perform work or provide services to employers in the Republic of Croatia.

When to submit your residence permit application?
  • Students submitting an application to the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in their home country should do so prior to their scheduled arrival in Croatia.
  • Students submitting the application to the appropriate police department or police station in Croatia should do so upon entering Croatia during their short-term stay.
Where to submit your temporary residence permit application?
  • At a diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in the foreign national’s home country
  • At the administrative police department located in the jurisdiction where you plan to study
Fees for temporary residence permit
A fee of 500 kuna will need to be paid to receive your student residence permit. Foreign students (or professors and researchers) that have acquired scholarships from the Agency for Mobility and EU Programs are exempt from paying this fee but they are still required to pay for the cost of the issuance of the residence card in the amount of 240 kuna and the duty stamp fee of 20 kuna. 
The usual duration of the student residence permit is usually one year or it can be tied to the academic year. A student who studies full time in Croatia must renew the permit each year. Begin the process of renewal at least 30 days in advance (but up to 60 days in advance is recommended).

How can I find accommodation before my arrival to Croatia?

Although the entire University of Zagreb has about 70 thousand students, there is a very small number of beds to accommodate all students in dormitories. More specifically, about 10 percent of all students. It can be difficult for international students to get a place in one of the dormitories. However, students who have not secured or are not entitled to student dormitory accommodation can rent a private room or apartment. The process of renting private accommodation should begin at least one month prior to coming to Croatia. The International Office at RIT Croatia helps our students find private accommodation according to their needs and price range. In Dubrovnik, there is a dormitory that can accommodate a lot of students so international students can apply for a place in the dormitory prior to their arrival to Croatia. Also, in case students wish to find private accommodation in Dubrovnik, our International Office helps them find an apartment.

How to get a student residence permit?
International students are not allowed to attend classes at a Croatian university until they have procured a temporary Croatia residence permit. Application for a Croatian residence permit is based on your term of study within Croatia.

Students of certain countries will need to procure an entry visa to Republic Croatia (visa C) in addition to procuring a temporary residence permit. These visas need to be requested in advance at the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in the foreign national’s home country. You can find out if a tourist visa is required for you nationality here.

Once our incoming international students confirm their enrollment, the Admissions Office connects them to the International Office via email, and further communication regarding temporary stay permit and housing is done directly between the International Office and students.

At RIT Croatia, you are on to something amazing!