• a study period abroad at a partner higher education institution (HEI);
  • a traineeship (work placement) abroad in an enterprise or any other relevant workplace.
A study period abroad may include a traineeship period as well.
To ensure high-quality mobility activities with maximum impact on the students, the mobility activity has to respond to student degree-related learning and personal development needs. The study period abroad must be part of the student’s study programme to complete a degree at a short cycle, first cycle (Bachelor or equivalent), second cycle (Master or equivalent) and third or doctoral cycle.

Traineeships abroad at a workplace are also supported during short cycle, first, second, third cycle studies and within a maximum of one year after the student’s graduation. This also includes the ‘assistantships’ for student teachers.
Wherever possible, the traineeships should be an integrated part of the student’s study programme.

Student mobility can be in any subject area/academic discipline.


Student mobility for studies:

Both sending and receiving organisations must be HEIs awarded with an ECHE (Erasmus Charter for Higher Education).

Student mobility for traineeships:
The sending organisation must be a HEI awarded with an ECHE.
The receiving organisation can be:
  • a HEI awarded with an ECHE or
  • any public or private organisation active in the labor market or in the fields of education, training and youth. 
For example, such organisation can be:
  • a public or private, a small, medium or large enterprise (including social enterprises);
  • a public body at local, regional or national level;
  • a social partner or other representative of working life, including chambers of commerce, craft/professional associations and trade unions;
  • a research institute;
  • a foundation;
  • a school/institute/educational centre (at any level, from pre-school to upper secondary education, and including vocational education and adult education);
  • a non-profit organisation, association, NGO;
  • a body providing career guidance, professional counselling and information services.
Each participating organisation must be established in a Programme Country.


Study periods: from 3 to 12 months (including a complementary traineeship period, if
Traineeships: from 2 to 12 months.

The same student may receive grants for mobility periods totaling up to 12 months maximum per each cycle of study, independently from the number and type of mobility activities:
  • during the first study cycle (Bachelor or equivalent) including the short-cycle (EQF levels 5 and 6);
  • during the second study cycle (Master or equivalent - EQF level 7); and
  • during the third cycle as doctoral candidate (doctoral level or EQF level 8).
The duration of a traineeship by recent graduates counts towards the 12 months maximum of the cycle during which they apply for the traineeship.


Students registered in a HEI and enrolled in studies leading to a recognized degree or other recognized tertiary level qualification (up to and including the level of doctorate).
In case of mobility for studies, the students must be enrolled at least in the second year of higher education studies. For traineeships, this condition does not apply.
Recent higher education graduates may participate in traineeships. Recent graduates must be selected by their HEI during their last year of study and must carry out and complete their traineeship abroad within one year of obtaining their graduation.


Students must carry out their mobility activity in a Programme Country different from the country of the sending organisation and country of residence.


Participants in Erasmus+ projects may need to obtain a visa for staying abroad in the Programme or Partner Country hosting the activity. It is a responsibility of all the participating organisations to ensure that the authorizations required (short or long-term stay visas or residence permits) are in order before the planned activity takes place. It is strongly recommended that the authorizations are requested from the competent authorities well in advance, since the process may take several weeks. National Agencies and the Executive Agency may give further advice and support concerning visas, residence permits, social security, etc. The EU Immigration Portal contains general information on visa and residence permits, for both short-term and long-term stays: